Cut Nothing beats a good bowl of chowder in the fall, and Crock-Pot Crawfish Chowder is perfect. A good crawfish boil is always amazing but to make comfort food out with one of New Orleans’s famous foods, we however get fresh crawfish here in the PNW as well!
(I have included affiliate links to products I love. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.) In addition, this post contains affiliate links that will make me a small commission when used to order online.
*First shared in 2018 and updated in 2022*
Now cleaning a whole crawfish isn’t necessary, this recipe only uses the meat from the crawfish tails if you want, so no need to deal with crawfish heads. One thing I love about chowders is there isn’t a wrong way to make them, this can easily be made in a large pot or a dutch oven. Personally, I find the lower and slower you can cook the more flavor there is in the chowder.
Crock Pot Crawfish corn Chowder Ingredients:
After the first time you make this you may find something to tweak about the recipe. We have added crumbled bacon a couple of times and it was amazing! This recipe can also be halved.
- Crawfish Tail Meat– Now if you can’t get fresh crawfish you can use store-bought crawfish. I picked mine up at Tacoma Boys locally. (Or you can pick up Louisiana crawfish tail meat on Amazon -> here or sometimes Walmart carries this as well.)
- Butter- Unsalted butter works great in this recipe since salt is added, but salted butter will work as well.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup– You could change this to the cream of chicken or 2 more cans of Cream of Potato soups if mushrooms are not a favorite.
- Cream of Potato Soup– Truthfully any cream of soup will work in this recipe, I used cream of the potato because I like the small potatoes it adds to the chowder.
- Cream Cheese Softened– I do cut mine up into small chunks to help melt faster and smoothly in the chowder.
- Half-and-Half cream– If you don’t have half and half you can use 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream or heavy cream with 1/2 pint of milk to make the mixture.
- Minced Garlic– Not much is needed. This flavors the crawfish as it sautes.
- Whole Kernel Corn– Drain your cans of corn, you could use fresh corn if it was shucked off the corn.
- Cayenne Pepper– You can just sprinkle some, if you want more of a kick you can increase how much you put in.
- Old Bays Seasoning-You could swap out the Old Bay for a different creole seasoning or cajun seasoning, I prefer how Old Bay flavors seafood.
- Chili Powder– You can add more of this if you want more of a kick to the chowder.
How To Make Crock Pot Crawfish Chowder:
In a large skillet or large saucepan melt the butter with the minced garlic on medium-high heat. Cut the butter into chunks of tablespoons butter so it melts faster in the pan.
After your butter has melted, saute the crawfish in the skillet with the butter and garlic.
Allow the crawfish to saute for about 20 minutes not quit to a slow boil.
We used an 8-quart crockpot to make this in, would you believe the old lady has 6 crockpots?? Having extra crockpots comes in hand for a Superbowl party or for tailgating get-togethers!
Spray your crockpot with a nonstick spray, or use a crockpot liner bag for easy clean up.
Start to drop in all your ingredients and turn the crockpot on low or medium heat.
While you saute the crawfish, combine everything in your crockpot.
Afterwards, add the butter crawfish combination after it has cooked.
Stir and cook on low for about 4-6 hours and enjoy, reduce the cooking if medium heat!
What To Serve With Crawfish Soup:
- Garlic Bread
- Crusty Bread
- Andouille Sausage
- Roasted Potatoes
- Grilled Corn On The Cob
- Smoked Baked Potatoes
How To Store Crawfish Chowder
Store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat either in a pan on the stove or in the fridge.
Soups and Stews To Check out
Whether you use a dutch oven or a slower cooker to make soups! Using leftover smoked meat adds amazing flavor to your soup or chowder!
- Crockpot Crawfish Chowder
- White Wine Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
- Slow Cooker Prime Rib Chili
- Smoked Turkey Dumpling Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Soup
Crock Pot Crawfish Chowder
- In a large skillet melt the butter with the minced garlic
- Once your butter has melted saute the crawfish in the skillet with the butter and garlic
- Allow the crawfish to saute for about 20 minutes
- We used an 8-quart crock pot to make this Crock Pot Crawfish Chowder in
- Spray your crock pot with a nonstick spray
- Start to drop in all your ingredients and turn on the crockpot on low
- Mix everything and then add in the crawfish and butter combination in
- Cook on low for about 4-6 hours and enjoy! This is amazing served in bread bowls or with saltine crackers, we personally prefer the oyster ones.